Specifically, the mission of the Emergency and Crisis Management program offered by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas , is to provide current and future emergency and crisis management leaders with a well-rounded graduate learning experience, so that they are able to effectively address natural, intentional, and technological disasters.
Students will learn how to create and analyze emergency plans for organizations and communities, lead during challenging periods, and offer pathways for community resiliency. In addition, the program will teach students about legal and political issues relevant to disasters and terrorism.
UNLV was one of the first universities to create an Emergency Management Master’s degree program after the September 11th attacks. The program continues to grow and develop, while increasing its partnerships with agencies and experts in the public, private, and non-profit sectors.
This program is geared for individuals who are working full-time and cannot easily come to campus. The courses are principally completed on-line, accompanied with five visits to campus over long weekends.
- Analyze the evolution of emergency management policy and practice in natural, intentional and technical disasters to include the scientific principles in defining, measuring, planning and recovering from these events.
- Identify the characteristics, growth and trends of terrorism as well as the underlying social, political and economic causes as it relates to emergency management.
- Differentiate the authority, responsibility, legislation and policies between levels of government tasked with managing natural, intentional and technical disasters.
- Evaluate organizational leadership theories and individual styles as well as decision making models used in coordinating with internal or external stakeholders.
- Investigate community vulnerability and resilience to include the psychological, economic and sociological impacts on individuals and groups through the development and implementation of exercise elements and organizational response plans.
- Analyze the principles in the prevention, planning, risk, mitigation, response and recovery, culminating in the design of a comprehensive emergency management program incorporating operational procedures and available resources.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Crisis and Emergency Management
- Science of Catastrophes
- Evolution of Terrorism
- Intergovernmental Affairs
- Organizational Leadership
- Community Preparedness
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesManagement Studies Emergency & Disaster Management View 801 other Masters in Management Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A completed Graduate College application.
- Submission of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- A resume which should indicate professional experience.
- A personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A nonrefundable admission application fee, payable by credit card, check, or money order. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Board of Regents.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year during 12 months.
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.