The post-professional course of study integrates design studios with courses in urban design history and theory, economics, and public policy. Within the intensive structure, there are opportunities to orchestrate personal interests in the discipline through selection of electives and research topics.
The challenging Master of Urban Design program at University of British Columbia is founded on combining academia with the contemporary profession. Each year, the program explores an urban design theme through community partnerships with regional organizations. In the design studios, students collaborate with faculty, stakeholders, and professionals on real-world projects for possible future applications.
What makes the program unique?
Along with intimate student-ratios of 1:12 in studios and 1:24 in lectures, students are exposed to practicing professionals who developed the urban design successes in Vancouver. To see these achievements, students can attend weekly tours to places such as the Olympic Village, Granville Island, and Stanley Park. The urban design faculty and the affiliates work alongside students in their education and in potential collaborations for local sustainable urbanism projects.
- Design Studio: Ecological Regional Design
- History and Theory of Urban Design
- Design Studio: Sustainable Neighbourhood Design
- Urban Design as Public Policy: Policymaking for a Sustainable Region
- Design Studio: Urban Block Design
- Real Estate Economics: Development Feasibility and Financing.
- 11 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Graphic Design Urban Planning View 46 other Masters in Design in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International35563 CAD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35563 CAD for the full programme during 11 months.
National19144 CAD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19144 CAD for the full programme during 11 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.