The Master of Teaching - Secondary offered by the University of Wollongong produces high quality teachers with an understanding of diversity in the classroom and with strong connections to school communities.
This program focuses on building teaching skills through a professional experience immersion program in your very first session, and regular professional experience periods throughout the degree. You will complete 60 days of professional experience (PEX), including the option to complete one PEX in a rural or remote area of NSW. There are also opportunities to undertake international immersion programs that, while not counted as a PEX, allow you to travel overseas, visit schools and develop your understanding of people and cultures.
Your learning will be supported by online teaching, forums, podcasts and video streamed lectures, on-campus tutorials and in-school activities. You will benefit from the expertise of local teachers and a range of workshops to develop your skills in communication, technology-enhanced learning, working with parents, designing assessment and conducting school-based research.
During your degree you will explore the concepts of teaching and learning to build your professional skills in your selected teaching areas. Teaching areas include: English, Mathematics, Science, Visual Arts, Music, Modern or Ancient History, Geography, Society and Culture or Aboriginal Studies, Legal Studies and Business Studies or Economics. The methods offered are subject to demand, meaning that not all methods are guaranteed to be offered each year.
Why choose this course
UOW's School of Education has been acknowledged as a leader in the field of teacher education within Australia. Our reputation rests on the success of our graduates, our connections with local schools and the diversity of our research. You will be supported through your teacher preparation by our teaching staff, Professional Experience Unit and through our mentored interview program, which prepares you for employment.
This degree is accredited and recognised as a national professional teaching qualification. Students seeking work outside NSW or Australia are advised to check with potential employers and other teacher registration authorities for any additional requirements.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teachers and Community
- Understanding Adolescence: Creating Supportive Learning Environments
- Inclusive Education in Schools
- Models And Approaches To Understanding Behaviour And Wellbeing
- Literacy and Numeracy in the Secondary School
- English Method I
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 7 December . Late applications may be accepted until 22 February , subject to the availability of places.
DisciplinesEducation Adult Education Teaching View 127 other Masters in Teaching in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree equivalent to a three year Australian bachelor degree with a minimum credit average grade, which meets the requirements of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for teaching in secondary schools. The NESA requirements will be assessed by the School of Education upon application.
- A valid IELTS is required if the degree was not completed in English from Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, Canada and the Republic of Ireland.
- Teaching Questionnaire meeting the non-academic selection criteria.
- CRICOS: 080834F
International24624 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 49248 AUD for the full programme during 24 months.
National23040 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 46080 AUD for the full programme during 24 months.
Living costs for Wollongong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.