The MFA in Film Production and Creative Writing from University of British Columbia focuses on the areas of directing, screenwriting and producing live action narrative or documentary film for students who already have a comprehensive background in filmmaking and wish to pursue a specific creative or intellectual vision in an academic environment.
The Joint MFA in Film Production and Creative Writing at the University of British Columbia offers the same film production education but with an additional focus on screenwriting. Students in the Joint degree take additional coursework in screenwriting through the Creative Writing program and are required to write the script for their thesis film. Our graduate and student work has screened at film festivals across the globe, and graduates have had key roles in films as diverse as District 9, 65 Red_Roses, and The Editor.
UBC MFA Film Production and Creative Writing graduates can be found working in the film industry as producers, screenwriters, and directors. Some also choose to pass on what they have learned by working as instructors and professors at educational institutions. Many serve on the boards of film organizations or serve on juries at film awards.
- Advanced Problems in Directing
- Advanced Writing for Television
- Advanced Writing for the Screen
- Producing for Film and Television
- Alternative Cinema Production
- Documentary Development and Production
- Seminar in Film Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Creative Writing View 81 other Masters in Visual Arts in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Applicants should apply without contacting individual faculty members prior to the application. Identification of potential faculty members in the application form is optional. Faculty members will review applications of applicants they are interested in and get in touch as part of the applicant evaluation.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International9313 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9313 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5301 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5301 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.