As a student in MA Expanded Theater you can design your studies to a large extent according to your individual interests and focus. You can make up your course portfolio from the courses offered by Bern University of the Arts and the other Swiss theatre schools in Lausanne, Zurich and Verscio.
We focus on the practical examination of contemporary forms of theatre as well as on the development and realisation of your own artistic ideas. In addition, we address issues that go beyond pure performance skills such as scenography, light design, sound and media. Internationally active theatre practitioners accompany you in your process.
The master’s degree qualifies you to work as a professional theatre practitioner with a specialisation of your choice. As a graduate you will have expanded your disciplinary training and will be able to participate in a wide variety of performance projects and to position yourself professionally.
In a professional world in which working and production methods are becoming more and more interdisciplinary, artists with the above qualifications are in great demand – both at theatre institutions and in independent companies.
Examples of our graduates’ job profiles:
- Freelance theatre practitioners and dancers
- Performance artists
- Company members at municipal theatre institutions
- Choreographers & stage directors
- Theory & Management
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor in Theatre, Dance, Performance or a comparable artistic degree at Bachelor level, or a proven practical artistic qualification whose equivalence will be reviewed by the admission committee.
- An active command of German or English at level B1 as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages is required of our master’s students. A passive understanding of English is assumed in any case. Upon entry into the second semester a command of German at level A1 is expected.
International1824 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 912 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1440 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 720 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- National: CHF 750
- International: CHF 950
Living costs for Bern
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.