Gain in-depth knowledge on today`s East Asian societies and become a specialist in the most dynamic region of the world!
In this East Asian Studies programme at University of Turku students gain expertise on East Asian contemporary history, politics and societies and learn social science research methods to become area specialists on East Asia. East Asian languages are studied as part of the degree to support students’ acquisition of knowledge and Master’s thesis research.
Students in the Programme have good opportunities for student exchange in East Asian universities as well as to receive East Asian study and research scholarships.
The Programme provides expertise to enter international public, private and third sector professions. Students also become qualified to apply to PhD programmes and to pursue an academic career.
Those graduating from the Master’s Degree Programme in East Asian Studies find employment in public, private and third sector jobs, such as in diplomatic service, international organisations, and companies where knowledge on East Asia and dynamic regions is in demand.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Conflicts and Cooperation in East Asia
- Welfare Regimes and Social Policy in East Asia
- China’s Urban Governance and Sustainability
- North Korean Politics, Society and Economy
- Issues in Japanese Politics and Society
- The Non-Profit Sector in Japan
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 7 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You are an eligible applicant for Master’s-level studies if
- you have a nationally recognized first cycle degree – normally a Bachelor’s degree – from an accredited institution of higher education,
- your degree corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study,
- your degree is in a relevant field for the Master’s degree programme that you’re applying to. Please check the programme page for detailed degree requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Tuition fee Free for citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, for citizens of non-EU/EEA countries €8,000/academic year
Living costs for Turku
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.