Why to study
The MUNDUS URBANO - International Cooperation and Urban Development programme, offered at the Darmstadt University of Technology, addresses the dynamic challenges faced throughout the world due to rapid urbanisation processes. The two-year course is innovative in its interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary set-up and arranges knowledge around emerging global phenomena.
The Mundus Urbano programme is hosted at the TU-Darmstadt Architecture Faculty (FB15), situated in the campus Lichtwiese of the university. The programme is closely correlated with the Faculty’s urban planning and development institutions. The Faculty was the first German school of architecture and planning to offer specialized courses on planning and building in the developing world in 1971. To this day, it maintains specialised departments dedicated to the interdisciplinary topics of urban planning, design and development.
Full-time courses include workshops and lectures, taught by professors from TU Darmstadt and visiting lecturers. Students are evaluated in various formats, including group work and discussions; essay writing, and in oral individual or group presentations. Each year, opportunities to participate in local and/or international excursions are also available.
- On the Move (mobility)
- Urban Planning and Building
- Urban Ecology
- Nature-Based Solutions for Urban Planning
- The Spatial Bias: Slums and the Recursive History of Integral Urban Interventions
- Participatory Planning and Design
- Housing 2.0
- Urbanization and Infrastructures
- Disaster Risk Management
- Re-Construction Project Management
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- For self-financed students, the deadline for application submission is July 15th.
DisciplinesInternational Development Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 18 other Masters in International Development in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- statement of motivation (max. 2 pages) detailing: assessment of previous academic focus, previous work experience and its relevance to the Mundus Urbano course, the benefit that the course may contribute for your future career, your preferred choice for second year mobility, short overview on how you plan to finance your studies
- list of publications (if any)
- proof of nationality (scan/copy of passport)
- reference names and contact data (optional)
- proof of professional or academic work experience and length
- proof of English language requirement
- additional questions form
International8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
- 8.000€ for first year at TU Darmstadt, 5.000€ for second year; different fees per semester at partner universities
Living costs for Darmstadt
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.