Suited to artists and writers, this pathway explores art and the philosophy of art from a contemporary perspective, embracing major ideas and debates of the past and present. The MRes Art course is part of the Art programme.
Why choose this course at Central Saint Martins
- Exchange of ideas: You will benefit from productive exchanges and development of ideas between MA Fine Art practitioners and MRes Art historians, theorists and philosophers.
- Professional world of research and debate: You will be introduced to the professional world of research and debate, supported by lectures and seminars from visiting scholars and philosophers.
- Comprehensive academic skills: You will gain skills in close textual analysis, comprehension, reconstruction and interpretation of philosophical arguments, while building expertise in critical analysis and reflection.
- Post-studies success: Our graduates are well placed to progress to MPhil or PhD research or go on to a professional future in academic institutions, the arts and publishing.
Careers and alumni
The Art - Theory and Philosophy programme from University of the Arts London (UAL) offers valuable opportunities to build transferable professional knowledge and skills. The exchange of perspectives with others through shared units, reading groups and debates helps establish stimulating and productive networks.
The focus on proposing and developing a major independent programme of study is supported by a shared professional practice lecture series featuring guest speakers plus opportunities to attend symposia and critique work in progress across subject areas. The Postgraduate Art Programme has wide-ranging links with professional organisations, collections and galleries in London and beyond, and includes opportunities for interaction and networking according to your personal career direction.
MRes Art: Theory and Philosophy gives you an advanced knowledge of research methods and familiarises you with the important features, issues and problems of philosophical aesthetics. You'll gain skills in close textual analysis, comprehension, reconstruction and interpretation of philosophical arguments, while building expertise in critical analysis and reflection. The location of the MRes within our postgraduate environment enhances your ability to relate philosophical analysis to art and cultural practices. In addition to further MPhil or PhD research, we envisage a range of professional futures for MRes Art: Theory and Philosophy graduates in academic institutions, the arts, and publishing.
- Innovations: Art, Writing, Philosophy
- Methodologies and Methods
- Individual Research Project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Philosophy & Ethics View 565 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
- An honours degree
- Or an equivalent EU/international qualification.
International13330 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13330 GBP per year during 24 months.
National5775 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5775 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.