This humanities-based Cinema & Media Studies MA program at York University will help students to acquire comprehensive knowledge of cinema and media theory, history, and criticism. Along with developing essential research and teaching skills, students will participate in the rich research culture of the University and develop a doctoral dissertation that will make a significant contribution to the discipline. Research, teaching, participation in international colloquia, as well as publishing and other forms of professional academic development are key components of this rigorous minimum four-year degree.
- Our tradition: York’s Graduate Program in Film was the first of its kind in Canada.
- Eleven full time core Cinema & Media Studies faculty members, including two Canada Research Chairs. In addition, 12 full-time faculty teaching Production & Screenwriting make our MFA program the most innovative in Canada.
- The Sound and Moving Image Library at York is one of the largest in Canada
- Scott Library features excellent print and electronic resources in cinema and media studies
- York’s Clara Thomas Archives includes numerous film-related collections
- York Film faculty run respected journals CineAction and Public: Art/Culture/Ideas
- York’s teaching and graduate assistants are the best paid in Canada and York offers generous admission and continuing student scholarships.
- Toronto is the film capital of English Canada, home to more than 100 film festivals cinematheques, film and video archives, distributors, resource centers and film industry personnel and studios.
- Many visiting filmmakers, scholars, and artists present film and lectures at York and in the greater Toronto area.
- Methods and Research in Cinema and Media Studies
- Contemporary Cinema and Media Theory
- Documentary Personalities: Werner Herzog and Errol Morris
- Future Cinema
- Selected Topics in History & Criticism: Chinese Cinema
- 30 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 49 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Canada
- Thesis proposal (500 words)
- Statement of interest (500 words)
- Resumé or CV, including a list of courses you have taken in film and related disciplines (e.g. theatre, visual arts, cultural studies, communications) and the grades that you received.
- Two scholarly essays (max. 7,500 words) with an indication of the course(s) for which the sample was written.
International12550 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6275 CAD per semester during 30 months.
National2870 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1435 CAD per semester during 30 months.
Part time tuition fees:
- National students - $717
- International students - $3137
Living costs for Toronto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.