The Department of African Cultural Studies at the University of Wisconsin Madison is the only one of its kind in the United States. It offers curricula leading to both the master of arts degree through the African Cultural Studies program and the doctor of philosophy degree. Its students come from all over the world, including many African countries.
- Recognize canonical authors and texts, historical forms, genres, and structures, and recognize aesthetic and cultural concerns in Africa and its diasporas.
- Develop in-depth knowledge in a sub-field of specialization within African cultural studies.
- Demonstrate their understanding of major theories, approaches, concepts, and current and classical research findings in African and diaspora literary and cultural studies.
- Develop a level of proficiency in the different “ways of knowing” Africa and the diaspora through language, literatures, and cultures.
- Understand their own learning processes and possess the capacity to intentionally seek, evaluate, and learn from information, and recognize and reduce bias in their thinking.
- Effectively retrieve and comprehend primary sources in English and African languages, and secondary sources from a range of disciplines.
- Africa on the Global Stage
- African Literature
- African Cultural Studies
- African Languages
- The African Storyteller
- The African Autobiography
- Reading and Writing African Cultural Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 696 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a comparable degree from an international institution
- University Transcripts
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores.
- Purpose Statement
- CV or Résumé
- Letters of Recommendation
International25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 24 months.
National25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12220 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Madison
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.