At Gender and Women's Studies in the Middle East - North Africa from The American University in Cairo students wishing to pursue doctoral work will find that interdisciplinary training in gender and women’s studies equips them with theoretical and methodological strengths in most disciplines and applied research fields. Consistent with the mission of the School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, Gender and Women’s. The Cynthia Nelson Institute for Gender and Women's Studies offers an interdisciplinary two-year Master of Arts degree.
The primary goal of IGWS is to prepare students for further academic work. IGWS MA graduates are currently pursuing their PhDs at premier educational institutions worldwide including Brown, University of Texas at Austin, CUNY, University of California at Irvine, University of Western Cape and Utrecht University. The MA also provides opportunities for working on gender-related issues in international organizations and NGOs. Currently, Students are working in regional office of Oxford, UN Women and local NGOs across the region.
- Theorizing Gender
- Gender and Feminist Research Methodologies
- Justice: Histories and Theories
- Women and Human Rights
- Theorizing the State
- Reading Capital
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Gender & Sexuality Studies View 8 other Masters in History in Egypt
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The American University in Cairo and/or in Egypt, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- an overall grade of gayyid giddan or a grade point average of 3.0 or above.
- Applicants for graduate study must have an accredited Bachelor’s degree with an academic record at a level sufficient to qualify for full or provisional admission.
- An online application for graduate studies
- Online payment of the application fee
- A statement of purpose
- An updated resume (CV)
- At least two online letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional background
- Official academic records, of which one must be a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with proof of degree completion.
- Satisfactory English language proficiency test results
- Graduate students may be asked to demonstrate minimum competency in the use of computers and academic libraries as they relate to graduate study and research
- One recent passport size photograph (a clear electronic copy)
Living costs for Cairo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.