It offers intensive training in research methods and in special fields of concentration in Religion studies. (Note: Admission to the Temple University Ph.D. program requires a separate application and the completion of qualifying examinations not required for the M.A. degree.) For those who plan to teach religious studies in community colleges or high schools, it provides advanced training in methods of research and in-depth study of the world's major religious traditions. For those in various forms of religious ministry, it offers post-graduate training and exposure to the newest research methods and developments for use in understanding their own or other religious and cultural traditions. For those who wish to bring cultural and cross-cultural analytical tools to professions such as business, government, journalism, medicine, and social work, it provides additional training in research methods and graduate-level study in the major world religious and cultural traditions. For qualified persons in the general public, it allows the opportunity to acquire competence in the study of religions, values, and cultures broadly defined, and in areas of special interest to the student.
The master's degree at Temple University is viewed as enhancement of knowledge about religion for those already employed in various professional capacities or as the foundation for pursuit of a Ph.D. degree.
- Special Topics
- Foundations in Philosophy of Religion
- Foundations in Religion and the Social Sciences
- Foundations in Textual and Historical Studies in Religion
- Foundations in Religion and Psychology
- Foundations in Religion, Race, and Ethnicity
- Foundations in Hinduism
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 621 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 3
- Coursework Required for Admission Consideration
- Statement of Goals: In 2 to 3 pages, describe your background and specific interests and reasons for pursuing an M.A. in Religion, demonstrating knowledge of the scope and limits of the Department of Religion's offerings and outlook.
- Standardized Test Scores
- Resume: Current resume required.
- Writing Sample: The writing sample should demonstrate your ability to research and write a scholarly paper. The paper should be no more than 10 pages in length and fully referenced according to a professional, scholarly style manual. It should be in the field of Religious Studies or a closely related area.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International39870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
National39870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State28980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 966 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.