University of Technology Sydney has established expertise in and a reputation for providing courses relevant to the needs of the patent and trade mark professions.
The unique feature of this Intellectual Property course is that it may be undertaken entirely online, removing the need for students to attend face-to-face classes.
This course provides graduates with an understanding of the principles of:
- the registered trade mark system in Australia and New Zealand, including the protection of unregistered marks and related forms of protection against misleading or unfair trading conduct in Australia and New Zealand
- patents law, patents systems, interpretation and validity of, including the content and implications of a patent specification and claims as well as related confidential information and know-how enabling them to advise upon possible questions of patent infringement, validity and compliance
- design law and practice in Australia and New Zealand enabling them to advise upon possible questions of design infringement, validity and compliance
- legal process and professional conduct regulation of trade mark attorneys and Trans-Tasman patent attorneys in Australia and New Zealand.
Graduates may also choose from optional subjects, including copyright law, global aspects of intellectual property law, intellectual property and traditional knowledge, intellectual property and human rights and intellectual property commercialisation.
Depending on the subjects taken, graduates may seek registration as a trade mark attorney and/or Trans-Tasman patent attorney in Australia and New Zealand. Arts administrators or media professionals may enhance career options through building expertise in the commercialisation or management of intellectual property assets. Other career options include patent and trade marks attorney, IP lawyer, IP portfolio manager, policy maker and government regulator.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- As part of this course, students must complete Preparing for Intellectual Property Practice.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPatent & Intellectual Property Law Public Law Business Law View 9 other Masters in Business Law in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Provider No: 00099F
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
- Previous qualifications can be in any discipline. Admission is at the discretion of the associate dean (education).
- The English proficiency requirement for international students or local applicants with international qualifications is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0; or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21; or AE5: Pass; or PTE: 58-64; or CAE: 176-184.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International32704 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1022 AUD per credit during 18 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.