The Geography and Urban Studies program at Temple University prepares students for further study and for careers in academia, community organizing and social change efforts, economic development, environmental management, geographic systems management, and planning and public administration. Throughout, emphasis is placed on the development of research techniques and analytical skills applicable to problem solving.
Areas of Specialization: The graduate program in Geography and Urban Studies emphasizes study and research in the areas of environmental issues, gender and race, geographic methods, international development, social and spatial theory, and urban development. Areas of applied work include cartography, environmental analysis, geographic information science, land-use planning and management, and regional development. The Department offers students a chance to be trained in geographic information science in a research laboratory equipped with the latest technology.
Graduates have continued their education by pursuing doctoral degrees in some of the nation's most prestigious Ph.D. programs. Graduates also find employment in public sector agencies that deal with environmental planning, land use, and urban problems. In addition, they work for quasi-public social service institutions that address various needs of urban residents, as well as for private sector firms whose business requires an understanding of urban and spatial dynamics.
- Geographic Inquiry
- History and Theory of Urban Studies
- Public Policy for Urban Regions
- Critical Issues in Globalization, Sustainability, and Social Justice
- Urban Social Geography
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Urban Planning View 324 other Masters in Geography in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Temple University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Take a standardized test
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 3
- Coursework Required for Admission Consideration
- Statement of Goals: Approximately 500 to 1,000 words include why you are interested in Temple's Geography and Urban Studies program; your research and academic goals; your future career goals; your academic and research achievements; and any other information that you believe will be helpful in evaluating your application.
- Resume: Current resume required.
- Writing Sample: At its discretion, the Graduate Admissions Committee may request a writing sample.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International49716 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1381 USD per credit during 12 months.
National49716 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1381 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State36144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1004 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.