This Master of Teaching in Secondary Education course at the University of Technology Sydney is a NSW secondary school teaching preparation course and adheres to the subject content knowledge prerequisites as stipulated by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). It is suitable for students about to graduate with a bachelor's degree and for mature-aged graduates who are changing careers and want a teaching qualification.
It includes an intensive professional experience program where students spend 60 days in practical experience teaching, and offers extensive, structured and closely supported experiences of secondary school teaching in different settings. The course has the flexibility to enable students who have completed most but not all of the required undergraduate specialisation subjects to undertake the additional required subjects as part of the degree.
The aim of this course is to enable future teachers and educational leaders to generate advanced knowledge of educational practice, pedagogy, policy, curriculum and systems; to inquire into and research practice to improve educational experiences and outcomes; to build the capability to critically analyse, reflect on and synthesise theories of learning and teaching; to develop extensive knowledge and respect for diverse societies, cultures and abilities to inform inclusive practices; to apply their understanding and skill with creativity and expert judgment; to become professionals with a profound ethical foundation, sense of social responsibility and a commitment to social justice; to operate as autonomous professional learners in changing global communities; to become effective communicators highly skilled in new literacies; and to make well-informed contributions to contemporary debates pertinent to education.
Career options include secondary school teaching in the chosen specialisations.
This course has received professional accreditation by the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards (BOSTES) as a recognised secondary school teaching qualification. To gain employment as a teacher in NSW schools, graduands must meet the requirements of the BOSTES, including language proficiency.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Include:
- English Teaching Methods
- The School in the Context of Contemporary Society
- Professional Learning
- Literacy and Numeracy Across the Curriculum
- Professional Experience and Classroom Management
- Inclusive Education
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Adult Education Teaching View 11 other Masters in Adult Education in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
- The bachelor degree should contain at least one major discipline study relevant to the first teaching area as described by the NSW curriculum and consistent with NESA Subject Content Knowledge Requirements. In the event the degree also contains a minor discipline study relevant to that area, students qualify to teach a second or additional subject. For a major discipline study this equates to six subjects, with no more than two subjects at first-year level and no fewer than two subjects at third-year level. A minor discipline study equates to four subjects, with no more than two subjects at the first-year level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International27648 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 576 AUD per credit during 24 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.