The course provides graduates with an evidence-based learning approach to build a high level of influence and leadership in their local government workplace. The course, which is informed by the research and capacity-building activities of the UTS Centre for Local Government , provides an interdisciplinary program with teaching and learning activities ranging across and beyond the faculty. An education program is developed to match the requirements of each participant's individual requirements, and subjects can be studied through intensive block release or in some cases through online delivery mode.
The education and professional development provided through the Master of Local Government aims to meet individual needs and provide opportunities for local government practitioners who wish to broaden their knowledge and skills, underpinned with a strong foundation in public service and democratic values and principles. On completion of the course, graduates have a sound understanding of current issues in local government and in diverse communities, as well as an ability to relate this knowledge back to their own workplaces. They gain research and scholarship competencies that allow them to continue their own professional development through short courses or further academic study, including at doctoral level.
The Master of Local Government at the University of Technology Sydney is highly suited to professionals wishing to progress their careers as senior managers and leaders of local councils. It is also highly recommended for public administrators and policymakers from other tiers of government, and managers from the non-government sector who partner on a regular basis with local government and wish to better understand the principles and practices of local governance.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse completion requirements:
- Core subjects (Local Government)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPublic Policy Political Science View 34 other Masters in Political Science in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- a UTS recognised Bachelor's degree or equivalent, or higher qualification, or
- a UTS Graduate Diploma in Local Government Management with a credit average, or
- a UTS Graduate Certificate in Local Government Leadership with a credit average, or
- a UTS Graduate Certificate in Development Assessment with a credit average.
Applications based on a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or equivalent or higher qualification must provide the following:
- a personal statement (max. 300 words) addressing their reasons for wanting to undertake the Master of Local Government, and
- a CV clearly articulating local government sector-related work with a minimum experience of five years.
Applicants who do not possess such graduate qualifications must have sufficient professional experience in local government and must demonstrate evidence of meeting AQF Level 7 learning outcomes in local government.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International533 AUD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 533 AUD per credit during 18 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.