Under the guidance of leading experts in writing, editing, publishing and creative writing research, students study in depth a range of forms, genres and aspects of writing craft and industry; experience group project work and workshopping; and develop a major writing project.
- to enhance students’ knowledge and skills across a range of writing genres and forms,
- to facilitate in students an ability to critically reflect on and improve their work,
- to provide a deep understanding of the relationship between writing practice and the writing industry across a range of project types and contexts, and
- to encourage students to think creatively and critically about, and contribute to, developments in the creative and cultural industries.
Graduates apply their writing skills to fields such as advertising, editing and publishing, film and television, digital and experiential media, journalism and communications. Many graduates publish or have their work produced, from short stories and short films, to novels and feature films. Graduates also undertake creative doctorates.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Narrative Writing
- Theory and Creative Writing
- Creative Non-fiction
- Writing Project
- Writing Seminar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 29 other Masters in Language Studies in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Technology Sydney and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
All applicants excluding students who have completed the Graduate Diploma in Creative writing at UTS need to submit one example of their creative writing.
For applicants with a bachelor's degree:
- the degree must be in the field of education, management and commerce, society and culture (e.g. Bachelor of Arts), or creative arts
- if the degree is not in the field of education, management and commerce, society and culture, or creative arts, applicants must also have a minimum of two years' related professional work experience. Employment experience is assessed according to the response provided by applicants via the employment question on their UTS e-application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International35616 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 742 AUD per credit during 18 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.