The Biosciences MRes degree offered at Aberystwyth University is flexible, allowing you to explore and specialise in an area of biology that fascinates you with the personalised support of a supervisor. With over 200 members of staff, the breadth of research and expertise in the institute means that you can undertake research in any one of the many areas of specialisation including, zoology, plant breeding, microbiology, bioinformatics, animal or equine science, marine biology and ecology.
This course is an ideal stepping-stone for those considering a PhD or company-based research.
Graduates of this course have gone on to work as research assistants or have progressed to doctoral study/PhDs.
Throughout this course you will:
- Develop strong data collection/analysis, fieldwork and laboratory skills
- Enhance your scientific communication and team work skills
- Write for a range of audiences including academics and the wider public
- Enhance your analytical abilities and problem solving skills
- Develop study and research skills
- Develop and sustain a self-initiated programme of study underpinned by good time management skills
- Frontiers in the Biosciences
- MRes Dissertation
- Research Methods in the Biosciences
- Current Topics in Biotechnology
- Field and Laboratory Techniques
- Infection and Immunity
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 123 other Masters in Microbiology in United Kingdom
- BSc honours degree (2:1) in a related subject at undergraduate level and accompanying references.
- We will consider applicants with other experience which gives an equivalent basis for entry.
- You application will be assessed by the Scheme coordinator and the proposed supervisor as to the quality of the proposed project and suitability of student to the project.
- Copies of University transcripts (certified translated copies are required if original document is not in English or Welsh).
- Copies of Degree certificates (certified translated copies are required if original document is not in English or Welsh).
- Personal statement within 1-2 A4 pages.
International16800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberystwyth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.