This Forensic Psychology programme at University of Kent is the only programme that offers an entire module on offender cognition, which helps you to understand how offence-supportive thinking can increase the chances of sexual offenders, firesetters and other individuals committing offences. With the support of forensic psychology staff you will also gain real-world writing skills such as journal writing, risk assessment reports, court reports and government research reports.
We are particularly interested in receiving applications from suitably qualified graduates who have direct experience of the application of psychological principles in custodial or other forensic settings, although such experience is not essential. As a significant element of the programme involves training in advanced methodological and statistical techniques, we are unable to consider applications from candidates who do not qualify for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) with the BPS - Graduate Membership of the BPS is insufficient.
Our postgraduate students commonly go into the fields of health, teaching or further education. For instance, many of our graduates take up roles as assistant psychologists in the NHS with a view to becoming a professional clinical or forensic psychologist. Upon completing our Master’s courses, graduates have also pursued doctoral study and academic careers at higher education institutions.
The programmes we offer help you to develop general critical, analytic and problem-solving skills that can be applied in a wide range of settings.
- Statistics and Methodology
- Psychology of Criminal Conduct
- Psychology of Law and Justice
- Assessment and Treatment of Offending Behaviour in Forensic Settings
- Forensic Cognition: Theory, Research and Practice
- Research Project in Criminology,Legal or Forensic Psychology
- Forensic Psychology Reflective Log Book
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
There is no fixed application deadline for home/EU students, but we strongly recommend you apply no later than three months before your intended start date.
DisciplinesPsychology Forensic Science Cognitive Sciences View 120 other Masters in Forensic Science in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Kent and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You must hold, or have applied for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC, formerly GBR) with the British Psychological Society (BPS). Please note that Graduate Membership of the BPS is not accepted.
- You will normally have GBC status if you hold a Psychology honours degree accredited by the BPS.
- You must also hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree with a classification (grade average) of a 2.1 or Merit in the UK system (the second highest classification after First/Distinction). Results from institutions in other countries will be assessed individually according to this standard.
International19700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9300 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- EU: £14800
- UK: £4650
- EU: £7400
- International: £9850
Living costs for Canterbury
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.