By the end of the program students understand the innumerable and valuable resources of the coast and oceans, understand their significance, and have versed themselves in methods and skills to manage the sustainable utilisation of these resources.
The language of teaching and general communication is English. The Coastal and Marine Management program is offered by the University Centre of the Westfjords in Ísafjörður in co-operation with the University of Akureyri. Teaching takes place in Ísafjörður.
Degree holders can apply their knowledge and skills in a practical way in their profession, e.g. as environmental managers specialised in coastal and/or ocean regions, and/or further studies, e.g. a doctoral degree.
They can effectively communicate specific problems within the scope of coastal and marine management, facilitate discussions (e.g. with stakeholder audience), and deliver presentations using academic terminology and/or layman terminology.
They can effectively participate in public and academic discourse. They are able to demonstrate knowledge of data analysis and research processes and choose the appropriate research method for a given topic.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Academic Writing Workshop
- Arctic Ocean Governance
- Coastal and Marine Ecology
- Coastal and Marine Management: Theory and Tools
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental History
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Equality and Diversity
- Icelandic Society and Environment
- Maritime Anthropology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEnvironmental Management Natural Resource Management Marine Studies View 3 other Masters in Marine Studies in Iceland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University Centre of the Westfjords and/or in Iceland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Conditions for acceptance into the Coastal and Marine Management program are that the applicant must have completed an undergraduate university degree with first grade, regardless of whether it is a BA, BSc or BEd.
- Candidates can come from diverse education and work backgrounds, as the interdisciplinary nature of study is based on many fields such as ecology, economics, social sciences, conservation and management
- English is the communication and educational language of the program. It is anticipated that applicants from Iceland, Scandinavia and the English-speaking countries possess adequate skills in the language. Other applicants must demonstrate sufficient English skills (CEFR level C1) with a recognised test.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2159 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2159 EUR per year during 18 months.
EU/EEA1079 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 EUR per year during 18 months.
- EU/EEA: ISK 150,000
- Non-EU/EEA: ISK 300,000
Living costs for Ísafjörður
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.