The MSc in Astrophysics at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Physics and Astronomy. The programme is intended to provide an entry route to astrophysics research and potentially PhD programmes for students who have taken an undergraduate BSc degree in Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent cognate discipline.
The MSc in Astrophysics is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Physics and Astronomy. The programme is intended to provide an entry route to astrophysics research and potentially PhD programmes for students who have taken an undergraduate BSc degree in Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent cognate discipline.
- Students are able and encouraged to use the University Observatory and the James Gregory Telescope, the largest working optical telescope in the UK.
- You will also have the opportunity to take part in an observing run at the Teide Observatory on Tenerife, Spain.
- The programme prepares students to undertake astrophysical research at PhD level.
- Modules provide transferable skills which enhance employability in and out of academia
This degree course is intended to provide an entry route to astrophysics research, and potentially PhD programmes, at St Andrews or another university in the UK or abroad. The course also prepares students for careers in data science, finance, and education, amongst others.
The Careers Centre offers one-to-one advice to all students on a taught postgraduate course and offers a programme of events to assist students to build their employability skills.
- Advanced Data Analysis
- Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Contemporary Astrophysics
- Extragalactic Astronomy
- General Relativity
- Gravitational Dynamics and Accretion Physics
- Magnetofluids and Space Plasmas
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Physics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 93 other Masters in Aerospace Engineering in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of St Andrews and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A good 2.1 undergraduate Honours degree in Physics, Mathematics or a related topic.
- completed Astrophysics supplementary application form (Word)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International27230 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27230 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11120 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11120 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.