The Master of Arts (MA) in Contemporary Islamic Studies offers students a unique opportunity to enjoy a strong multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary graduate education across a range of core subjects, while also enabling them to pursue a specialization in one important area within the field of modern Islamic scholarship.
The Contemporary Islamic Studies program of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University is tailored to examine traditional Islamic knowledge and place such knowledge in the context of the challenges faced by modern society.
Islamic Studies is a discipline that is widely taught in universities across the world. However, the blended combination of specialties and research offered at HBKU is especially unique.
- The MA in Contemporary Islamic Studies program covers Islamic knowledge sources and addresses the role they play in understanding pressing issues in the contemporary world.
- The program focuses on teaching the skills required to produce graduates with exceptional knowledge of Islam in the modern context and significant critical thinking.
- It develops graduates who can practice the values of moderation and gain an understanding of present-day challenges that have grown more complex as a result of pluralism and globalization.
- Islamic Thought
- Contemporary Qur'anic and Hadith Studies
- Applied Research Methodologies in Islamic Studies
- Islam and Modernity
- Islamic Thought and Postcolonial Studies
- Islamic Law and Society
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Religious Studies & Theology Islamic Studies View 5 other Masters in Islamic Studies in Qatar
- A strong academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA out of 4.0) from a recognized university.
- A bachelor's degree or knowledge in Islamic Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Religious Studies; or relatable areas within the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences with appropriate experience (for the Specialization in Contemporary Islamic Thought) or Shari’a, Fiqh, Usul al-Fiqh, or a related area within Islamic Studies, Usul al-Din and Qanun (for the Specialization in Fiqh and Society)
- Official electronic copies of transcripts and graduation statements should be submitted as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit two letters of recommendation
- Applicants should submit a personal statement as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit a copy of their current resume or curriculum vitae
- All applicants should submit an electronic copy of their passport as part of the online application
International9887 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19774 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National9887 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19774 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- QAR 72,000 per full
Living costs for Ar Rayyan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.