The backbone of the Molecular Plant and Microbial Sciences MRes course offered at Imperial College London is a 12-month period of research starting in the first week of October.
It consists of two research projects performed in research groups focusing on plant genetic engineering, plant development, plant molecular biology, proteomics, plant biochemistry, plant-microbe interactions, transcriptomics and bioinformatics.
Career opportunities continue to expand as the potential of plant biotechnology is realised by employers, research companies and governments. A high proportion of our graduates are expected to enter further research leading to a PhD degree. There may be opportunities to join one of the Research Council-funded institutes, which develop and monitor a range of aspects of plant biotechnology.
Some graduates may gain employment in the food industry and agrochemical companies, which are increasingly focused on modern approaches to plant breeding. New developments in biofuels research offer future employment opportunities.
- Computer based work
- Formal presentations
- Individual research projects with thesis reports
- Research laboratory
- Skills training practicals
Programme StructureResearch Groups - topics:
- plant genetic engineering
- plant development
- plant molecular biology
- molecular markers
- membrane biophysics
- plant biochemistry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
Most postgraduate courses remain open until they are full, so make sure you apply in good time. UK and non-visa nationals have the same deadline.
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Botany View 39 other Masters in Botany in United Kingdom
- The minimum requirement is a 2.1 degree in science subject.
- A wide variety of international qualifications are accepted.
- All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
- Online application.
- Application fee.
- An ATAS certificate is required for all visa-nationals, with the exception of EEA/Swiss nationals and nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA.
- To apply for an ATAS certificate online, you will need your programme’s Common Aggregation Hierarchy (CAH) code and ‘descriptor’, as well as your university supervisor name. For this course, these are: CAH10-02-05; biotechnology; Professor Anne Dell
International32400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National13200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.