In addition to developing a firm understanding of the links between physical activity, nutrition and health, this course offers invaluable opportunities to further career prospects during placement and research project units – including the development of practical skills and links with NHS organisations, researchers and clinicians in high-interest areas such as obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus and cancer.
With relevant experience, we will also support you in registering as an Associate Nutritionist or converting to full registration as a Nutritionist/Public Health Nutritionist.
Reasons to study the Physical Activity, Nutrition and Behaviour Change course from Physical Activity, Nutrition and Behaviour Change:
- Study in a supportive and innovative environment, on a course covering a unique combination of topics designed to integrate with current public health policy
- Explore potential career opportunities in Public Health and/or Health Promotion and Education with this MSc that will also allow you to apply for membership of the Institute of Health Promotion and Education
- Develop high-level professional standards; understanding your ethical, moral and legal responsibilities as well as acquiring the practical competencies, the ability to apply scientific knowledge to public health settings, and the research skills that will help you access careers in public health, the health and fitness industry or academia
- Gain the opportunity to practise your skills on work placement, or if already in post or accredited, the opportunity to specialise and develop your expertise in physical activity and nutrition
- Benefit from access to a wide range of careers in Public Health, Health Promotion and Education, roles in charities whose aims are to improve the nation’s health and/or continue to further research-based study on MSc by research, MPhil or PhD programmes.
How will this course enhance my career prospects?
Opportunities for career development within the health sector and health and fitness sector have been expanding in recent years. In the light of an increasing recognition of the importance of physical activity and nutrition in the prevention and treatment of disease within government health reports there are significant opportunities for graduates with an MSc in Physical Activity, Nutrition and Behaviour Change within Primary Care, for example. See below for a list of examples of relevant posts:
- Commissioning and Development Manager Physical Activity
- Community Physical Activity Worker
- Fit4Life Co-ordinator
- Health Improvement Practitioner (e.g. Obesity/Physical Activity or other e.g. mental health, cardiovascular disease, the elderly)
- Health Improvement Specialist
- Healthy Lifestyle Programme Manager (Developing Healthy Communities)
- Obesity Programme Manager
- Specialist Stop Smoking Advisor
- Public Health Manager
- Healthy Schools Specialists
- Exercise Referral Specialists
For those who wish to pursue a career in Public Health and/or Health Promotion and Education this course provides a foundation of knowledge that will be useful in acquiring the competencies though the Faculty of Public Health (Department of Health) required to join the UK Public Health Register (UKPHR.)
This is a register which provides the regulation of public health specialists with a background in areas such as social science, medicine, nursing, health promotion, pharmacy, psychology and dentistry. Completion of this MSc in Physical Activity, Nutrition and Behaviour Change will also allow you the opportunity to apply as a member of the Institute of Health Promotion and Education.
Physical Activity, Nutrition and Behaviour Change is offered at the University of Bedfordshire.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods
- Professional Skills for Health Care Providers
- Psychological Approaches to Public Health
- Metabolic Health
- Physical Activity, Nutrition and Health Promotion Dissertation
- Exercise Prescription for Clinical Populations
- Exercise Testing and Diagnosis
- Laboratory Skills
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing and Interpretation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPublic Health Physiotherapy Nutrition & Dietetics View 1009 other Masters in Public Health in United Kingdom
- To apply for a postgraduate degree (MA/MSc/MBA/LLM) at the University of Bedfordshire you should have a good honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in an appropriate subject from a recognised university or HE institution.
- We will also consider candidates with other relevant qualifications or appropriate work experience.
International13275 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13275 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National7840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7840 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- For EU students the standard fee is £7,840.
Living costs for Bedford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We can advise you on scholarships and bursaries which are available and could be an extra source of income. The Scholarships & Bursaries team are James Partington and Shajna Begum and can be contacted at SAB@beds.ac.uk
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.