This flexible Advanced Materials Science and Engineering MSc programme from Imperial College London is a stand-alone qualification designed to prepare students to solve problems in materials science and engineering under the exacting conditions we encounter today.
The Advanced Materials Science and Engineering programme is broad, covering many aspects of both the science of materials and engineering applications, and includes course work and original research components.
The students will have access to world leading knowledge and infrastructure by working on real projects as part of established research groups, and you will be motivated to develop your ability to research, design, assess, implement and review solutions to real-life engineering problems across a wide range of materials.
This course aims to equip you with knowledge and understanding of the key structural properties of different classes of materials. You will gain skills in characterisation of materials, in particular their structural, thermal, morphological and chemical properties.
You will use the principles and underlying theory of a range of characterisation methods – including X-ray Diffraction, Focussed Ion Beam, Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry, Atomic Force Microscopy, Electron Microscopy and Scanning Probe Microscopies – as well as a range of modelling tools, applicable to a broad spectrum of materials types at different length scales.
- Oral presentations
- Practical sessions
- Small group discussions
- Written presentations
This degree is professionally accredited by The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining.
- Material Characterisation
- Materials Modelling
- Advanced Biomaterials
- Advanced Engineering Alloy
- Advanced Structural Ceramics
- Advanced Thin Film Manufacturing Technologies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- As a guide, visa nationals (overseas applicants) should aim to apply by no later than 30 June.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 150 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
- The minimum requirement is a 2.1 degree in materials, mechanical/civil/chemical engineering, physics or chemistry.
- A wide variety of international qualifications are accepted.
- All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
- Online application.
- Application fee.
- An ATAS certificate is required for all visa-nationals, with the exception of EEA/Swiss nationals and nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA.
- To apply for an ATAS certificate online, you will need your programme’s Common Aggregation Hierarchy (CAH) code and ‘descriptor’, as well as your university supervisor name. For this course, these are: CAH10-03-02; Materials technology; Professor Peter Haynes.
International35700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.