About the Social Work program offered by University of Huddersfield
The course is designed to help prepare you to work in all social care settings including residential, field, day care, healthcare and education within statutory, voluntary and private sectors, as well as multi-disciplinary settings and work teams. It also aims to produce practitioners who can critically reflect on their practice and promote anti-oppressive practice in a multicultural society.
- This course is approved by Social Work England and leads to eligibility to apply for registration as a qualified social worker.
- It will assist you in developing the key skills required to become a confident and competent social worker in line with the Professional Capabilities Framework for Social Work.
- You will have the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills including communication, assessment, analysis and reflection, as well as gaining knowledge in a range of areas, such as legislation, policy and how people interact with their environments.
- The course offers you the opportunity to work with service users, carers, social work practitioners and experienced university tutors, as well as engaging with an internationally recognised research department in social work.
- You will have the opportunity to put what you have learnt into practice through undertaking two assessed work placements, helping you to enhance your academic and personal development. This is managed and delivered by a long-standing partnership between the University and local social work agencies, including statutory, voluntary and service user-led organisations.
During the course you will undertake a 70 day placement in year 1 and a 100 day placement in year 2. These are managed and assessed by experienced practice educators, who provide opportunities for you to develop and apply the knowledge, value base and professional capabilities required of social workers in qualified practice.
Placements are undertaken in wide variety of settings within the voluntary and statutory sectors, including local authorities, national charities, drug and alcohol services, housing agencies, sexual health services and a wide variety of other social care and welfare services. Placements are also provided across a wide range of service user groups and you may have the opportunity to work with vulnerable adults, children and families, young people, people with learning disabilities or people with mental health issues.
Upon successful completion of this course you are currently eligible to apply for registration with Social Work England as a qualified social worker. This is the professional qualification required to practice as a social worker in the UK. This course provides the opportunity for you to work with either children and families or adult services, in the statutory, independent and voluntary sector. Our graduates now work in a variety of settings across the statutory sector, including Local Authorities and a wide range of national charities and organisations.
- Assessment and Care Planning
- Applied Law
- Readiness for Practice
- First Practice Placement
- Social Work Knowledge and Interventions
- Think Family and Strength Based Approaches
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSocial Work Management Studies Public Law View 1544 other Masters in Management Studies in United Kingdom
- Honours degree in a relevant subject.
- Or an academic reference indicating you are expected to obtain an Honours degree (2:1 or above).
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at grade 4 or above, or grade C or above if awarded under the previous GCSE grading scheme.
- You also need a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance prior to registration.
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 24 months.
National6900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6900 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.