You will learn to consider the interplay between spatial design and social, economic, environmental and political issues evident in a range of urban settings.
Taught with an interdisciplinary approach to the development of urban form, the Urban Planning (specialisation in Urban Design) programme at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is not limited to those with architecture or urban planning backgrounds - it is relevant to anyone interested in understanding the nature and production of spaces.
Our international teaching staff bring with them the best learning methods from some of the most prestigious universities in the world, offering you the chance to learn in a supportive, integrated learning environment.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for careers as urban designers in both public and private sector companies related to the built environment. Graduates can find employment in positions such as urban or regional planners, where they will develop plans for the use of land, help create communities, accommodate population growth, and regenerate facilities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fundamentals of Urban Design
- Place-making and Urban Design
- Urban Design Inquiry (Studio)
- Architectural Theory and Criticism
- Sustainable Urban Planning Strategies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, National
- For Mainland China applicants: 30 June
- For international applicants and applicants from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan: 15 June
DisciplinesArchitecture Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 3 other Masters in Urban Planning in China
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
- Equivalent academic qualifications
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International8513 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12770 USD for the full programme and a duration of 18 months.
National8513 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12770 USD for the full programme and a duration of 18 months.
RMB 90,000 for the entire programme.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.