You’ll have the opportunity to explore critical and feminist approaches to social research and its ethics. The course focuses on:
- gendered experiences of violence
- conflict and peace militarisation
- masculinities and femininities
- representations, embodiments and the institutionalisation of violence.
You’ll be based in the School of Global Studies, which is a unique interdisciplinary school. Our international faculty undertake cutting-edge research, and we run a distinctive programme of guest lectures, research seminars and events. Our campus is also home to an active student body, hosting frequent debates, lectures, films and social events covering global and political issues.
This Gender, Violence and Conflict MA at University of Sussex is for you if you’re working in – or planning to work in – the fields of:
- international development and diplomacy (including on gender, gender-based violence, conflict and security, and peace-building)
- the charity sector and NGOs, including those providing services for survivors of gender violence or projects to prevent violence
- various activist movements, women’s rights, and peace and justice nationally or internationally.
The MA is also excellent preparation for a PhD in Anthropology, Gender Studies, International Relations or International Development.
- Activism for Development and Social Justice
- Decolonising, Diversifying and Demythologising
- Doing Gender in Theory and Practice
- Global Childhoods; Rights, Protection and Justice
- Hate Crime and Sexual Violence
- Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery
- Knowledge, Power and Resistance
- Refugees, Displacement and Humanitarian Responses
- Violence and (In)security: Feminist, Queer and Anti-colonial perspectives
- Women and Human Rights
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 100 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United Kingdom
- You should normally have an upper second-class (2.1) undergraduate honours degree or above.
- Subject-specific requirements: Your undergraduate degree should preferably be in a social sciences or humanities subject; alternatively, you should have relevant professional experience or engagement.
International18975 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18975 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.