About this Degree
To avoid catastrophic climate change, global carbon emissions must be brought to zero within a few decades. This requires a transformation of the global energy system, beginning now. On this MSc, you learn to contribute to this challenge. You’ll gain the skills and confidence to develop and deliver energy and climate policy with impact. With climate change as a focus, you’ll explore the role of policy and innovation in transforming energy systems, while sharpening your analytical and decision-making skills.You’re taught by globally recognised faculty from the University of Sussex Business School. This course draws on expertise from SPRU – Science Policy Research Unit and the Sussex Energy Group, one of the largest energy policy research groups in the world. You’ll explore the opportunities and challenges of creating sustainable and low-carbon energy systems throughout the world. Our approach is interdisciplinary, practical and applied. The course gives you an essential foundation for careers in government, international organisations, the private sector and NGOs.
With the growing importance of energy and climate change on political, corporate and even social agendas around the world, there is increasing demand for energy policy professionals in this area.
With this Energy and Climate Policy MSc at University of Sussex, you’ll be well prepared for work in:
- international organisations (such as the OECD, UNDP, UNEP, IEA, and IREAN)
- government departments (such as the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change, Government of British Columbia, Canada)
- local authorities (such as the Brighton & Hove Council sustainability team)
- businesses (such as RWE npower, Ecofys, EDF, Unilever, Southern Solar, Renaissance Re, Centro de Apoio a Inovação Social-CAIS)
- NGOs (such as the International Social Science Council, Green Jobs Alliance, People and Planet)
- independent consultancies
- academia and further research.
- Challenges in Energy and Climate Policy
- Perspectives on Energy and Climate Policy
- Policy Making and Policy Analysis
- Science, Technology and Innovations: Markets, Firms and Policies
- Industrial and Innovation Policy
- Infrastructure, Innovation and Sustainability
- Innovation for Sustainability
- Quantitative Research
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Economics & Policy Sustainable Energy View 158 other Masters in Sustainable Energy in United Kingdom
- You should have a lower second-class (2.2) undergraduate honours degree or above.
- Subject-specific requirements: Your qualification can be in any subject but undergraduate degrees in the social sciences, natural science, humanities or engineering are particularly suitable. You may also be considered for the course if you have other professional qualifications or experience of equivalent standing.
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12750 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.