The Science Communication Unit at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) is an excellent opportunity to benefit from the Unit's expertise, resources and contacts.
Bristol is a hub for the science communication community. It's home to BBC Bristol, which produces a range of natural history programmes, including Life Story, and the popular science magazine, BBC Focus. Bristol is also home to the award-winning We The Curious, which the Unit has collaborated with over several years.
As well as drawing on the academic and practical experience of staff within the Science Communication Unit, our MSc programme gives you an opportunity to meet a range of visiting lecturers and benefit from their practical experience. This also provides an excellent networking opportunity for students interested in developing contacts among science communication practitioners.
The course combines a solid theoretical background with practical skill development, and has excellent links with the sectors and industries it informs. Visiting specialists also help you understand what they are looking for in future employees.
Careers / Further study
Science communication skills are in high demand in a wide range of sectors and industries, such as journalism, public relations, science centres and museums, science education, professional consultancy and Research Council/learned institutions.
Throughout the course, we'll encourage you to develop the professional skills to help you secure employment or research positions. Successful employment for our graduates is essential to this course's success.
To help you achieve your career goals we offer the following opportunities:
- Learning Lab placements - Designed in collaboration with our students and host organisations. In recent years, students have been placed with BBC Focus Magazine, MS Research and Science City Bristol.
- External Science Communication project - As part of the project module, you can apply for a project working with an external organisation. In the past students have worked with organisations including Meningitis UK, the British Science Association, the British Geological Survey and the Green Man Festival.
- Dedicated careers sessions - From the outset, you have access to sessions that help you build your skills and experience with specific careers in mind. For example, We The Curious provides a session for you to find out about volunteering with them.
- The Postgraduate Science Communication Student Blackboard - This is a key way we inform you about voluntary, placement and paid job opportunities. After graduation, you can keep in touch with the team and other graduates on our LinkedIn group.
- Science and Society
- Science, the Public and Media
- Science on Air and on Screen
- Science in Public Spaces
- Writing Science
- 12 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no specific deadlines, but the sooner you apply, the less likely you are to miss out.
- Postgraduate Diploma – 120 Level M credits
- Master’s – 180 Level M Credits
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Sociology View 519 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- Applicants normally have an honours degree awarded by a UK institute of higher education of at least lower second status, in a relevant subject.
International1208 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1208 GBP per module during 12 months.
National604 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 604 GBP per module during 12 months.
- Module Fee (15 Credit)
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.