This Music Therapy course from University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) is open to capable musicians - from recent graduates to experienced professionals, or to music therapists with a postgraduate diploma looking to add to their skills and knowledge who can access a progression route. Even if you don't have a first degree in music, we still encourage you to apply provided you can demonstrate a capacity to write and think at Master's level.
All candidates will need an intuitive and communicative musical presence on at least one instrument or voice, plus the ability to provide harmonic support using, for example, piano, keyboard or guitar.
Careers / Further study
Completing the MA Music Therapy means you will be eligible to apply for registration with the HCPC, in order to start practising as a fully qualified music therapist.
Opportunities for Master's-qualified music therapists are diverse. Previous students have gone on to practice as HCPC-registered music therapists sometimes alongside other musical work such as performing and teaching and also apply their knowledge and expertise to positions in healthcare and education. Our links with music therapy experts and practitioners give excellent insights into future careers, and part of the course is geared towards helping you find placements, attract employers or set up your own practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Therapy Professional Practice with Children and Young People
- Music Therapy Theory and Child Development
- Music Therapy Professional Practice and Skills with Adults
- Music Therapy Theory and Practice in Adult Settings
- Qualitative and Quantitative Methods
- Music Therapy Advanced Professional Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no specific deadlines, but the sooner you apply, the less likely you are to miss out.
DisciplinesMusic View 265 other Masters in Music in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
It is recommended that applicants have:
- a good undergraduate degree with professional music skills
- a high level of practical performance in any musical tradition, including digital technologies and a particular interest in live improvisation
- sufficient skills to be able to provide harmonic support
- experience of working in relevant areas such as Health or Education (including voluntary work)
- personal skills suited to working as a therapist
- wide reading on the subject of music therapy
- the ability and strong commitment to follow a personally demanding part-time course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7250 GBP per year during 36 months.
National6000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 GBP per year during 36 months.
- Home Annual (Year 3) Fee 5000 GBP
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.