It provides generic research methods training in social science, as well as more specific research training in politics (including any chosen political specialism) and international relations.
This programme has ‘1+3’ recognition from the UK Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), which means it can be taken as the first step of a four-year PhD programme. You may therefore take the MRes on its own as a stand-alone qualification, or as the first year of the our Four Year PhD Programme, in which case your dissertation will be used as a platform for your PhD level research.
Graduates of Politics course at The University of Exeter have been highly successful in securing interesting career opportunities and in progressing to higher research degrees.
In addition to the academic and knowledge-based skills provided by this programme’s subject material, your studies will also develop personal skills which are highly valued by employers, such as:
- Advanced independent thinking, with the ability to undertake self-directed learning and time management to achieve consistent, proficient and sustained attainment
- Experience of working as an individual on challenging material
- The ability to reflect on your learning, evaluate personal strengths and weakness, and map out a plan of personal development based on those reflections
More informationVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in the Social Science
- Dissertation Skills
- Quantitative Data Analysis
- Applied Quantitative Data Analysis
- Qualitative Methods in Social Research
- Management and Governance: Comparing Public Administration around the World
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPolitical Science View 400 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
A 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent, supported by strong evidence of research potential in undergraduate work, eg through level three independent project or dissertation and/or through testimonial from academic referees.
International18000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £4,000 part-time
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.