This Fine Art course at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) provides a structure to enable you to extend your practical, critical, contextual and theoretical knowledge of Fine Art and gain skills and experience in order to operate in a professional context beyond University.
There is no emphasis on a particular type of work. Students work in painting, installation, performance, sculpture, photography, moving image and drawing. This reflects contemporary practice and allows you to explore and experiment with a range of formats throughout your time here.
Teaching is based at City Campus at Spike Island, within this internationally renowned contemporary art venue on Bristol's harbourside and part of UWE Bristol's City Campus. Here you will benefit from a vibrant creative environment and a range of work and volunteering opportunities.
A professional learning environment
You will study alongside a small yet diverse group of students providing support and sharing insights and perspectives.
Students highly value the teaching input and experience of research-active, practicing artists all of whom exhibit nationally and internationally.
Teaching is centred at Spike Island an international centre for the development of contemporary art and design - bringing further expertise, opportunities, access to public events and regular guest speakers.
Careers / Further study
You will gain a broad knowledge base of Fine Art practice and a range of artistic and technical skills in addition to transferable skills highly valued by employers. As a result of the course students gain work in very different areas they have good transferable skills, the ability to work in a team, good initiation, writing skills and creativity.
Our students have gone on to successful careers as artists, technicians or artist assistants. Some go into project management, event management and work in museums and galleries as curators and administrators.
Other careers include teaching and freelance work as writers and critics.
Accreditations and partnerships: Spike Island
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fine Art Critical Review (30 credits) - Through this module you will develop and demonstrate knowledge of a range of contemporary fine art practices, an understanding of a range of written critiques and develop and demonstrate an ability to critically review contemporary artworks in exposition.
- Research Practice (30 credits) - This module is designed to help you to develop independent research skills, which are important for critical engagement with creative practice. It will encourage you to reflect on and contextualize your practice and that of others.
- Fine Art Practice (60 credits) - During this module you will research and develop a fine art project/area of study/practice in order to produce conceptually coherent, quality artwork.
- Practice and evaluation document (60 credits) - The emphasis is on the production of artworks alongside the production of a structured and in depth evaluation document reflecting on your practice.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Fine Arts View 528 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We are looking for highly motivated creative students from a range of backgrounds. Usually applicants will have an honours degree in the Visual Arts but those with other academic qualifications or professional experience are also encouraged to apply.
- All applications are carefully reviewed and suitable applicants are invited to attend an interview. You would be expected to show examples of recent and/or current practices as well as examples of written work. You should also be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of contemporary Fine Art practice.
- There is no official closing date for postgraduate courses and we accept applications throughout the year. If you are applying to organisations for funding they may have application deadlines by which time you will need to know if you have a place on a course. You should build this deadline into your application process and if you are working to a funding deadline then please let us know.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Living costs for Bristol
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.