The programs are structured with classes offered in the evening to serve non-traditional students, including working professionals. Consequently, all graduate classes on the UW Bothell campus meet twice a week, after 5 pm. While you are welcome to work while enrolled in the program, please note that because the programs are rigorous, it is beneficial to have the ability to adjust your work schedule to allow more focus on your studies during periods when your academic workload intensifies.
The MA in Cultural Studies at the University of Washington Bothell is the first graduate program in the Pacific Northwest, and one of very few programs nationally, to partner the interdisciplinary study of art and culture with a community-based learning network. The program offers students multiple opportunities to develop and document educational experiences and professional skills suited to their individual career goals.
The Master of Arts in Cultural Studies degree provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary for success in three areas:
- Professional careers in community-based arts, culture, advocacy, education, and social service organizations
- Freelance, practice-based work
- Further academic study in the interdisciplinary arts, humanities, and social sciences
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Formations in Cultural Studies
- Engaging Cultural Studies
- Topics in Media and Culture: Media, Power and Practice
- Topics in Cultural Studies: Expedition Seattle
- Cultural Studies Research Practices
- Portfolio and Professional Development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Languages View 533 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- An application to the Graduate School and $85 application fee
- A statement of intent, describing your relevant background and articulating your goals in seeking a MA in Cultural Studies degree.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from faculty who can discuss your academic ability. You are welcome to submit additional recommendations, though it is not necessary.
- A writing sample demonstrating your research skills, critical and creative thinking abilities, and writing capacities.
- All unofficial transcripts from prior academic work, including college, university, and technical school.
International28812 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28812 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National16521 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16521 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Each year we offer general scholarships graciously endowed from individuals, organizations, UW Bothell alumni, businesses, and associations. These scholarships are available to students enrolled at UW Bothell. We have two applications per year:
- UW Bothell General Scholarship (awarded for autumn -- spring quarters) application available in March online.
- UW Bothell Winter & Spring General Scholarship (awarded for winter and spring quarters) application available online in autumn.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.