Project-based design studios form the core of the program. These emphasise professionalism, critical and rigorous design thinking, knowledge of contemporary and emergent theories, technologies and practices, and the development of skills for a diversity of future careers in architecture. Students gain experience tackling a range of challenging design problems, including those relating to urban futures, social and environmental responsibility, and complex buildings.
Studios are complemented by units in Professional Practice, Advanced Technologies, and Design Research, with a choice of options to enable tailored pathways through the field. The program culminates with a research-led final project nurtured by professional and discipline leaders in small studio groups.
The accredited professional education provided by the Master of Architecture degree equips graduates with the required competencies to become core members of the architectural profession, working in firms and organisations involved in the definition, design, realisation, and stewardship of buildings, urban spaces, interiors, and the broader built environment.
More broadly, the lateral problem-solving skills and creative powers developed through the degree – including design thinking, spatial intelligence, visual literacy, digital fluency, and effective communication skills – are highly transferable and resistant to automation, empowering graduates to navigate a future economic landscape disrupted by technology. Ultimately, it is the values of critical thinking, civic responsibility, ecological consciousness, and aesthetic imagination instilled through our architectural education that furnish the fundamental capacity for reshaping the world for the better.
Graduates of the Master of Architecture degree are globally mobile, equipped to embark on stimulating careers across industries and fields both established and emerging, often located at the intersection of design and the environment. These include:
- Architectural design and construction
- Interiors and environmental branding
- Lighting and acoustic design
- Scenography and production design
- Heritage preservation and adaptive reuse
- Urban design and planning
- Placemaking and community advocacy
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Research - Methods
- Urban Futures Studio
- Professional Studies
- Design Research - Communication
- Global Studio
- Advanced Technologies
- Design WIL
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
It is recommended that international students should apply at least 3 months prior and on-shore students apply no less than one month prior to the start date.
DisciplinesArchitecture Design Graphic Design View 79 other Masters in Architecture in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Code: 059006G
- Admission to most postgraduate coursework courses at the University of Tasmania require qualifications equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree. Applicants must achieve the required grade in their qualifying studies, meet any prerequisite subjects, and meet English language requirements to be eligible for an offer.
- To be eligible for the Master of Architecture you require a Bachelor of Architecture and Built Environments (previously called the Bachelor of Environmental Design, or an equivalent three-year undergraduate degree in Architecture.
- Eligibility is subject to achieving a minimum credit average (60%) across all core subjects in the final year of the undergraduate degree. Students may also be asked to attend an interview and/or submit a portfolio of their work from their previous studies.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33526 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 67053 AUD for the full programme during 24 months.
Domestic students enrolled in a full fee paying place are charged the Student Services and Amenities Fee but this fee is incorporated in the fees you pay for each unit you enrol in.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.