The MPhil in Classical Archaeology at the University of Oxford combines the flexibility of the MSt in Classical Archaeology, which allows you to choose from a wide range of broad periods - from Prehistoric Aegean through Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic and various Roman periods to Later Antiquity - and detailed options, with the opportunity to research a topic of your choice in the form of a thesis.
The allocation of graduate supervision for this course is the responsibility of the School of Archaeology and it is not always possible to accommodate the preferences of incoming graduate students to work with a particular member of staff. Under exceptional circumstances a supervisor may be found outside the School of Archaeology.
Most graduates from the MPhil in Classical Archaeology continue to further degree programmes in Classical Archaeology either at Oxford or at leading universities elsewhere, predominantly in the UK and the USA. Others find careers in education, museums, commercial archaeology and the heritage industry.
- In the first year, at least one period option must be chosen, and one subject option, while the choice for the third option can be from either group.
- You may also be allowed to study an unlisted topic within Classical archaeology, or directly related to it, provided that the topic is appropriate and teaching is available, or a subject from among those offered in a number of cognate disciplines.
- In the second year, you take a fourth taught subject from within Classical archaeology, and work on your thesis.
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications may remain open after this deadline if places are still available.
DisciplinesArchaeology History View 149 other Masters in Archaeology in United Kingdom
- Official transcript(s)
- Statement of purpose/personal statement:
- A maximum of 500 words
- Written work:
- Either one essay of between 4,000 and 5,000 words or two essays of a maximum of 2,500 words each
- References/letters of recommendation: Three overall, generally academic
International28020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28020 GBP per year during 21 months.
National14710 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14710 GBP per year during 21 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.