Our Near Eastern Studies - Arabic Studies program offered at the University of Michigan develops students’ historiograpical and analytical skills, as well as their proficiency in relevant languages, whether ancient or modern.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of the many connections between Near Eastern Studies and other departments on campus, and thus to shape a program that is specifically matched to their research interests.
Students in this program choose between two subplans:
- Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language: This track provides training in applied linguistics and foreign language teaching methodology with special emphasis on learning and teaching Arabic as a foreign language.
- Arabic for Professional Purposes: This track is specifically designed to accommodate the needs and demands of students, members of the business community and government personnel who want to study Arabic for professional employment in government, business or public policy.
- Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Israel/Hebrew Bible
- Iranian Studies
- Islamic Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 635 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants should have a B.A. in Arabic, Education, English, Linguistics, or related disciplines.
- All applicants must submit a completed application from the Rackham School of Graduate Studies
- official transcripts of all previous academic records
- three letters of recommendation (preferably from faculty familiar with their most recent work)
- a statement of purpose
- personal statement and writing sample
The Arabic Proficiency Test of the American Association of Arabic for non-native speakers of Arabic
International52456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52456 USD per year during 24 months.
National52456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52456 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State26226 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26226 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Ann Arbor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.