Our Near Eastern Studies - Arabic Studies program offered at University of Michigan develops students’ historiograpical and analytical skills, as well as their proficiency in relevant languages, whether ancient or modern. Students are encouraged to take advantage of the many connections between Near Eastern Studies and other departments on campus, and thus to shape a program that is specifically matched to their research interests.
Students in this program choose between two subplans:
- Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language: This track provides training in applied linguistics and foreign language teaching methodology with special emphasis on learning and teaching Arabic as a foreign language.
- Arabic for Professional Purposes: This track is specifically designed to accommodate the needs and demands of students, members of the business community and government personnel who want to study Arabic for professional employment in government, business or public policy.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Israel/Hebrew Bible
- Iranian Studies
- Islamic Studies
- Mesopotamian and Ancient Near Eastern Studies
- Rabbinics; Jewish History of Late Antiquity
- Second Temple Judaism and Christian Origins/New Testament
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Language Studies View 909 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants should have a B.A. in Arabic, Education, English, Linguistics, or related disciplines.
- All applicants must submit a completed application from the Rackham School of Graduate Studies,
- official transcripts of all previous academic records,
- three letters of recommendation (preferably from faculty familiar with their most recent work),
- a statement of purpose,
- personal statement and writing sample.
The Arabic Proficiency Test of the American Association of Arabic for non-native speakers of Arabic
International24102 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24102 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National24102 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24102 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11945 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11945 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.