The Master of Bioinformatics at KU Leuven provides you with a strong theoretical background in each of the disciplines. In addition, you will use computer programming and machine learning as well as existing bioinformatics pipelines to study biological, biomedical and biotechnological systems under the guidance of top researchers in bioinformatics. The combination of theoretical background and applied skills allows you to make informed choices for data analysis methodologies.
Bioinformatics research groups are spread over the Arenberg and Gasthuisberg campus and are located in the research departments of Microbial and Molecular Systems (M2S), Electrical Engineering (ESAT), Human Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology (REGA), Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Chemistry and Biology. Several of these bioinformatics research groups are also associated with the Flemish Institute for Biotechnology (VIB).
Bioinformaticians find careers in the life sciences domain in the broadest sense: industry, the academic world, health care, etc. The expanding need for bioinformatics in biological and medical research ensures a large variety of job opportunities in fundamental and applied research. 60% of our graduates start a PhD after graduation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Molecular Interactions: Theories and Methods
- Structural Bioinformatics
- Model Organisms
- Dynamical Systems
- Statistical Methods for Bioinformatics
- Machine Learning and Inductive Inference
- Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis
- Support Vector Machines: Methods and Applications
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBioinformatics & Biostatistics Machine Learning Genetics View 15 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An aptitude for mathematics is required. In your previous higher education, a good grade should have been obtained for a course in Statistics AND Calculus or Linear Algebra.
- All applicants who have not obtained a previous diploma in a programme taught in English in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America must submit a certificate proving their proficiency in English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6600 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.