Gain world-class specialised translation training at the largest language hub in Western Australia. In this Translation Studies program from The University of Western Australia, you'll complete professionally endorsed translation training between English and one of eight Asian and European languages. Taken over one-and-a-half years or two years, this is the only course of its kind in Western Australia, offering professional translation training between English and one of the following languages: Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Although concentrating on translation proper (written), students are also introduced to interpreting (spoken translation). Furthermore, a Chinese interpreting specialisation is also available to students in combination with the English/Chinese language pair.
Taught by practitioners and translation researchers, the course is approved by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI), making you eligible to apply for the prestigious NAATI certification as an Advanced Professional or Professional Translator.
Fostering critical thinking, linguistic and analytical skills through frontier translation theories and latest technologies as well as the opportunity for individual supervision of a translation research project, the Master of Translation Studies also offers the flexibility of taking either the coursework-only pathway or the coursework and dissertation pathway, should you plan to progress to a PhD in Translation Studies. Teaching takes place in small classes so as to accompany each student along their personal learning journey.
UWA’s Master of Translation Studies students will graduate with a qualification relevant to professional employment in a range of business, government and non-government organisations in Australia and overseas. This course could lead to career opportunities as a: copywriter, advertising professional, foreign affairs and trade officer, bilingual professional, post-editor, terminologist or translator.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Translation Studies
- Interdisciplinary Translation Studies
- The Ethics of Translation
- Corpus-based Translation Studies
- Translation Localisation
- Key Debates in the Asian Region
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 36 other Masters in Language Studies in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have—
- a relevant bachelor's degree, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA; and
- the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in the Level 3 units of a relevant major; and
- demonstrated native or near-native proficiency in the chosen language specialisation; or
- for French, Italian, German, and Spanish, B2/C1 levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages; for Chinese, a minimum of HSK 4; for Japanese, Level N2/N3 at the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test); for Indonesian, Level 3 at the UKBI (UjianKemahiran Bahasa Indonesia) or Level 4 at the ISLPR (International Second Language Proficiency Ratings); and for Korean, Level 4 at the TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean).
International46933 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 70400 AUD for the full programme during 18 months.
National Commonwealth supported students: $8,747.06
Living costs for Perth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.