This Sport Management and the Business of Football programme at Birkbeck, University of London is designed to give you the skills and expertise you need to compete in the football industry and related businesses and organisations, by combining specialist teaching about the principles and practice of sport and football business management and economics with general training in management, business organisation, strategy and research methods.
It will help you to develop a deeper understanding of management, governance and regulatory issues within the business of sport, and in the business of football in particular.
It is ideally suited to the needs of executives within a variety of sport and football organisations, such as professional football clubs, sport governing bodies and media organisations. The programme is also ideal for members of supporters’ organisations, government officials with responsibilities in the sport (specifically football) sectors, as well as people with a general interest in the sport, football and media industries. It is relevant for anyone seeking a broad education that will act as a platform for securing employment in the football industry or related sector.
- A comprehensive review of the theory and practice of the business and management of sport with particular reference to the football industry.
- Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals. Visiting speakers include experts from the legal profession, football clubs and football regulatory authorities.
- The Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy.
- Linked to Birkbeck's Sport Business Centre, one of the world's leading centres for sport business and football research, teaching, training, consultancy and policy advice.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in the football industry, for example in governing bodies, professional football clubs, and commercial businesses operating in the football industry such as media companies, sport sponsorship businesses and player agencies.
- Research Methods in Management (Postgraduate)
- Sport Economics and the Design of Competitions
- Sport Event Management
- Sport Governance
- Sport Labour Markets
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Policy and Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Sports Management Sports Sciences View 317 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
International18780 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18780 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12180 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12180 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.