As well as reading key classical texts of political theory and sociological analysis, we also analyse real-world contemporary problems and address fundamental questions of political power and social order. Topics studied include sovereignty, territory and state building, property and law, the legitimacy of political authority, democracy, violence and pluralism.
Your option modules can be drawn from the Department of Politics, and also from the Department of Psychosocial Studies and the Department of History, Classics and Archaeology, thus offering you access to historical and psychosocial approaches to theory, politics and the social sciences.
- This Master's degree will enable you to develop an advanced knowledge and understanding of the main ideas and current trends and directions in social and political theory.
- The Department organises a lively programme of seminars and conferences and is home to affiliated research centres, such as the Centre for the Study of British Politics and Public Life, which run seminars, conferences and other events where some of the world's best scholars present their latest research.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Politics at Birkbeck was ranked 17th in the UK.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in the media and journalism, local and national government, the diplomatic service, policy research and political lobbying, the voluntary sector, teaching and researching. Possible professions include political lobbyist, Diplomatic Services operational officer, or high education lecturer. This Social and Political Theory programme at Birkbeck, University of London may also be useful in becoming a government social research officer, charity officer, or newspaper journalist.
- Political Theory and Contemporary Politics
- The Political Sociology of the Modern State
- Dissertation MSc Social and Political Theory
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
More informationGo to the official programme website
DisciplinesSociology Political Science View 400 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- A second-class honours degree in a social science or other relevant subject.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Check the official programme website for information about funding options.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.