Screenwriting at Birkbeck, University of London will encourage you to write in different genres, and expect you to rewrite draft scripts with feedback and tutor support.
One distinctive feature of the programme is the fast-track core module which will allow all students enrolling on the course, including graduates in other fields, to gain detailed knowledge of screenwriting theories, conventions and formats, and develop the ability to apply these to writing practice.
Subsequent modules will deepen writing skills and knowledge of screenwriting with assignments of increasing length designed to meet industry requirements, such as feature film script and television series writing, and you will also study the discourse and practices of screenwriting.
Graduates go into careers in the creative industries, such as screenwriting, script editing and collaborating with readers/directors/producers/co-writers. Possible professions include screenwriter, creative writer, or higher education lecturer. This degree can also be useful in becoming a script writer, magazine or newspaper journalist, or English as a foreign language (EFL) teacher.
- Fast Track to Screenwriting
- Final Project MA Screenwriting
- History and Theory of Screenwriting
- Scriptwriting in Different Genres
- Writing a Draft Script
- Developing a Feature Film Script
- Developing a TV Series
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you enough time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Creative Writing Theatre & Dance View 214 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
- A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in any related subject; other qualifications will be considered.
- Applications are encouraged from those with or without prior screenwriting experience.
- As part of the application process, applicants are required to submit the following: Part 1: the opening ten pages of script for a film or TV drama, Part 2: a four-page feature film treatment, Part 3: any three pieces of creative text, such as a short story, an extract from a novel (five pages), an article or a poem.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- Your personal details
- Your qualifications
- Your work experience
- Your personal statement
- Statistical information
- English proficiency
- The application form
International16380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16380 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9030 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9030 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part-time home students: £4515 pa
- Part-time international students: £8190 pa
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.