The Architecture programme offered by The University of Edinburgh actively promotes interdisciplinary approaches to research in architecture. Our expertise and interests range across the following areas:
Our focus includes:
- conservation theory and history
- urban conservation
- conservation technology
- the challenges of bridging heritage and new architecture
Architectural History, Theory and Criticism
We have particular strength in:
- the history of architecture in Britain and the British colonial world (18th and 19th centuries)
- Germany, Central Europe and Russia
- modernism in Europe, North America and Africa
- Renaissance Italy
- the history of landscape
- the history of technology
- the international history of mass housing and urban development
- the theory and philosophy of architecture
- the philosophy of place
- critical inquiry and methodology
Design-led Research and Studio Practice
We focus on:
- research in and through design, as informed by contemporary architectural and cultural theory
- studio pedagogy
- research-led teaching
- methodologies of urban research and fieldwork
Digital Media and Design
We have expertise in:
- the spatial, social and philosophical implications of media
- histories of design computing
- the relationship between computers and design practice
- cognitive models of human-computer interaction
- 3D modelling
- mobile computing
- the sonic environment
Technology, Environment and Sustainability
We offer expertise in:
- lightweight steel structures
- the building envelope
- concrete construction
- design and manufacturing
- sustainable design in both qualitative and quantitative senses, looking at environmental response, design theory, rural planning and user-centred solutions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research programmes in architecture are served by high-quality library facilities.
- All students in the programmes are provided with 24-hour-accessible study space, as well as access to well-equipped multimedia laboratories, photography and exhibition facilities.
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture View 241 other Masters in Architecture in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Normally a UK masters degree, or its international equivalent. We will also take any professional experience into account.
- If you do not meet the academic entry requirements, we may still consider your application on the basis of your relevant professional experience.
International20100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20100 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4407 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Home/EU: £2,204
- International: £10,050
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.