The Master of Creative Writing from University of Auckland is for writers working on a large-scale creative writing project: a novel, short story collection, full-length work of creative nonfiction, or poetry collection.
The programme is convened by the award-winning novelist and short story writer, Paula Morris. Acclaimed poet Selina Tusitala Marsh co-supervises poets in the programme.
The best portfolio each year wins the Sir James Wallace Master of Creative Writing Prize of $5,000, New Zealand’s richest prize for a creative writing student.
This programme will equip you with the skills you need to finish your book through putting pen to paper.
Our graduates have published books with a range of publishers including Penguin Random House, Bloomsbury, Auckland University Press, Huia and USP Press.
These graduates include Linda Olsson, Emily Perkins, John Adams, Sonja Yelich and Renee Liang.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MCW is a one-year, full-time programme of study with entry in Semester Two only. You will enrol in CREWRIT 797 Creative Writing (120 points).
- If you are writing a novel, short stories or creative non-fiction, you are expected to produce a portfolio of between 40,000 and 80,000 words. Poetry collections should have a minimum of 80 pages.
- You’ll attend two weekly classes during semester: the workshop and the seminar.
- In the workshop, you will submit drafts of stories, poems and novel sections for discussion and feedback, and take part in weekly writing exercises.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts Literature View 11 other Masters in Creative Writing in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
To enrol in a MCW you need to have completed one of the following at a recognised university (or similar institution):
- A four-year bachelors degree
- An honours degree
- A three-year bachelors degree, and a professional qualification in writing or at least three years of professional experience in writing
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25888 USD per year during 12 months.
National5586 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5586 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: NZ$7,782
- International: NZ$36,086
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.