The living world is our most challenging and captivating teacher. The Master of Science in Biology programme is geared towards preparing the student for the challenges and opportunities awaiting in the broad field of biology. Our primary goal is to obtain insight and to understand the basis and evolution of organisms that adapt to their environment. This knowledge leads to applications with important economic and societal benefits, employment opportunities.
The Department of Biology is committed to excel in teaching and research and comprises of three divisions with diverse activities ranging from molecular and physiological to ecological research on populations, communities, and ecosystems. The Master of Biology programme includes four modules:
- Common Core (18 ECTS): You will obtain the necessary training in analysing and processing complex biological data, in basic programming, and in discussing biological topics in a societal context.
- Advanced Biology (54 ECTS): You will be trained in the theory and techniques of fundamental and applied research in one of two areas of specialisation: ‘Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology’ or ‘Molecular Biology and Physiology’. Throughout advanced and specialised courses, you will obtain the necessary knowledge and insights in your specific area of Biology. You can specialise in one track or combine courses from both tracks to design a programme that fits your needs and interests.*
- Elective courses (18 ECTS): You can select additional courses in Advanced Biology, courses on Entrepreneurship, take remedial courses to fill in knowledge gaps and/or follow courses from other master’s programmes.
- Master’s Thesis (30 ECTS): You will conduct your own original scientific research in the field of biology in an academic setting with the help of a supervisor. You will defend your master’s thesis publicly.
*In the English programme the specialisation area contains more ECTS in comparison to the Dutch programme. This is because the Dutch programme also contains an internship.
As a graduate of the programme, you will be in a position to pursue a career as a scientific researcher at universities, agro-industries, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, environmental conservation organisations, and NGOs. You will also be an excellent candidate for employment as a scientific advisor in banks and private invest ment foundations, a policy officer in governmental and public administration, a scientific communications advisor, a scientific journalist, a science teacher, a data manager or a data analyst.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Biological Data Analysis
- Computational Biology
- Biology and Society
- Evolutionary Ecology and Eco-Evolutionary Dynamics
- Advanced Ecology
- Biogeography and Macro-ecology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology View 13 other Masters in Biology in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at KU Leuven and/or in Belgium, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You must have obtained an academic bachelor’s degree in biology or a related field. Bachelor of Biology, Bachelor of Biochemistry, Bachelor degrees with minor Biology, Life sciences, or other degrees,obtained outside the Flemish Community, will be admitted on individual basis.
- You should have a good command of both spoken and written English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1250 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 24 months.
For most recent - and only official - information on tuition fees, please visit our website.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Biology.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.