Closely linked with the diverse research pursuits of scientists at the Marine Biological Association (MBA) and University, this MRes Marine Biology programme at University of Plymouth allows you to develop research skills in a marine context that are widely applicable.
- Study in Plymouth, an internationally renowned city for marine biological research.
- Participate in a specifically designed, topical programme jointly hosted by Plymouth University and the Marine Biological Association (MBA) of the UK.
- Choose between pathways to suit your research interests, biodiversity and ecology or cellular and molecular biology.
- Benefit from being taught by recognised experts with worldwide links to research organisations and projects.
- Draw on our expertise, working alongside research staff on a personal project.
- Undertake an extensive, original and innovative research project, often in collaboration with MBA Research Fellows, or one of our other partner institutions (Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science and the National Marine Aquarium), either in the UK or abroad.
- Excellent training for further research.
- See the benefit from close links with the research community worldwide.
Opportunities for trained marine biologists exist within the public and private sector worldwide, including regulatory bodies, government agencies, conservation organisations, environmental consultancies, aquaculture, and fisheries management. The programme also acts as a springboard to an academic career, typically via a PhD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Postgraduate Research Skills & Methods
- Advanced Research in Marine Biology
- Marine Biology MRes Dissertation
- Molecular and Cellular Approaches in Marine Biology
- Marine Ecology and Conservation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most of our taught programmes begin in September. Applications can usually be made throughout the year, and are considered until programmes are full.
DisciplinesBiology Ecology View 524 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Typically a first-class honours degree or equivalent in a biological subject, or a 2:1 honours degree with a 1st class grade or equivalent in a research project or dissertation. Applications considered from well-qualified graduates in other disciplines with relevant experience or interests –contact us for advice.
- Applicants should include in their personal statement a paragraph describing a research project they have been involved with, what the findings of that study were and what the wider relevance of these findings is. Applicants are advised to apply early as the course has limited capacity.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10200 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Part time (Home) £550 per 10 credits
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.