This Master’s degree in Historical Research at Birkbeck, University of London will give you the intellectual foundations, practical techniques and confidence to pursue your own research in the historical subject or period that most interests you.
We will critically examine problems of historical theory and practice, with an emphasis on debates around key topics such as historical narrative, objectivity and relativism, causation, the relationship of history to other disciplines, the rise and impact of social and cultural histories, and new directions in historical research and writing. We will consider some of the key methodological and theoretical approaches to history of the past 100 years, including the Annales School, Marxist historiography and postmodernism.
As well as being able to choose option modules from the extensive range offered by the Department of History, Classics and Archaeology, you will also be able to undertake option modules offered by other departments. The culmination of the programme is the writing of an independently researched dissertation under the guidance and supervision of one of our research-active academics.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in research and archiving, museums and galleries, education, or journalism. Possible professions include researcher, archivist, or journalist. This degree will also provide graduates with the skills to undertake historical research at PhD level as well as professionally and independently. It may also be useful in becoming a higher education lecturer, museum education officer, or Civil Service administrator.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Mastering Historical Research: Birkbeck Approaches
- The Historian's Craft
- Britain and Germany: The History of a Relationship, 1815-1990
- China and the West: Encounters
- Civil Society: Ideas, Practices and Dilemmas in the Modern World, 17th Century to the Present
- Cultural History of War in Britain and America between the First World War and the Conflict in Vietnam
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesHistory Educational Research Ancient History View 607 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) and references.
- We offer a one-year Graduate Certificate in History, which can be used as a conversion course if you want to study history at postgraduate level, but have a degree in a significantly different discipline.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8820 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.