Upon successful completion of this MSc in Financial Risk Management at Birkbeck, University of London , you will have the expertise to identify and manage the major sources of risk in the financial markets. You will understand the role of financial derivative products, their use (and misuse) and how they are priced, and you will be able to analyse financial data and build risk models, detect trends in data, test a given hypothesis and forecast future values. You will also understand how to build an investment portfolio (of risky assets) and carefully monitor its performance over time.
Birkbeck's postgraduate finance courses are built around our long-running experience in research-led evening teaching. Many of our students work in the finance industry, which generates a lively atmosphere in class and ensures that you'll be studying alongside committed, enthusiastic students with a wealth of experience. You will be taught by active researchers, working at the cutting edge in their respective fields, who are also experienced professional practitioners, giving specialist advice and in-house training to government departments and banks and firms in the City of London. This course is challenging and demanding, so you should demonstrate strong intellectual ability in your application and be willing to work hard.
- This course combines a high level of academic rigour with a solid grounding in practical problem-solving skills.
- We have an excellent reputation for the quality of our teaching, which includes providing training for the Treasury and the Bank of England.
- Birkbeck's Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics enjoys an international reputation and its economics and finance research groups stand among the foremost research groups in the country.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than half of our research outputs in Economics were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue a career in banking and finance, the public sector, industry, and research and analysis. Possible professions include financial risk analyst, economist, or purchasing manager. This degree can also be useful in becoming a management consultant or actuary.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Credit Risk Management
- Financial Econometrics
- Market Risk Management
- Mathematical Risk Management
- Quantitative Techniques
- Theory of Finance and Derivatives
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesFinance Management, Organisation & Leadership Risk Management View 105 other Masters in Risk Management in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in a quantitative subject, such as mathematics, physics, statistics, economics or engineering.
- Alternatively, a merit or higher in our MSc Finance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18400 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA12600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12600 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.