You will explore the interaction of biology and social factors in the context of atypical developmental paths, such as those observed in dyslexia, autism and other developmental disorders.
The degree in Developmental Sciences at Birkbeck, University of London is designed for graduates from psychology and related disciplines who seek to deepen their understanding of cutting-edge contemporary research in developmental science, as well as established practitioners and policy-makers wishing to update their training. The MA focuses on enabling you to reflect critically on existing knowledge.
- You will explore child development from diverse theoretical and applied perspectives and get an introduction to the biology of development through the study of genetics and developmental cognitive neuroscience.
- The degree combines Birkbeck’s strengths in biological, social and applied developmental research methods to provide you with an integrated understanding of child development.
- You will have the opportunity to interact with world-class researchers in developmental science and attend research seminars organised by the Department and a number of other local research centres and institutes.
- Psychological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked fifth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), and we achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to research of world-leading quality.
- Psychological research at Birkbeck was ranked fifth in the world in a category of the Best Global Universities Rankings 2016, an important and influential index of research quality.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in psychology, health or social work, education, and policy development. Possible professions may include psychologist, counsellor, or researcher. This degree may also be useful in becoming a further education lecturer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Child Development in a Social Context
- Development Cognitive Neuroscience
- Family Studies
- Generic Research Skills
- Genetics of Development
- Qualitative Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Psychology Genetics View 224 other Masters in Genetics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in psychology, cognitive science, education, behavioural sciences or relevant discipline.
- Relevant professional experience of childhood and development may also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9960 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.